1.10.09

Shells

I made some progress with the shells. The way I dye them is in fact shibori in miniature. Here's one piece with threads just unwound showing how the stripes underneath resisted the dye.

mini shibori

This is what they look like with the pleats spread out but without any smocking yet.


shells

It seems that what started as shells may be moving in the more general direction of patterns suggesting fur and feather.

It's beginning to remind me a lot of an arashi shibori scarf I made several years ago in a design I used to call 'feathers'. It was mottled with irregular lines dyed across the pleated texture.

shibori scarf

Now I'm curious to see what the 'shells' look like smocked...

5 comments:

Leililaloo said...

i am soo in love with your work. i also love seeing the process!

leFiligree said...

totally captivating!

The crafty Kaeru said...

Aaahh, so beautiful!

Eva said...

Thank you for the comments!

>< said...

wow eva, these look amazing!!!!