2.11.09

Cherry

At the risk of boring you with yet another beige-ish dye post, here's one more autumn dye that I couldn't resist trying: colourful cherry leaves. I first came across the idea on Cosmopolitan Purls and liked Yuki's peach yarn (peach from cherry - how nice!)

I got slightly different colours. Again the darker, greyer pieces are modified with iron. From my dye samples so far it's most similar to hawthorn berries.

cherry

In other news, I am preparing a giveaway! Stay tuned.

Also thanks to Karyn for mentioning the Autumn series of necklaces on make something last week. I've been following her blog for over a year since she did an interview with me and apart from admiring her sewing skills, her link-rich posts always lead me to something wonderful.

3 comments:

Yuki said...

Yay, you tried the cherry leaves too! :) If you let the solution sit for a couple of days after you extract the dye from the leaves before dyeing, the redness increases to yield the warmer pinky-peach. That's what I did.

Just a tip from one of my dyeing books.

Eva said...

Thanks! I'll definitely try that next time.

Brittany Noel said...

I could never be bored by too much natural dye! I never would have thought to use leaves as dye, except maybe the known ones (indigo, etc.). The iron is such a beautiful transformation, too. The darkness it imparts is also very rich and deep, not sad at all :)