21.11.09

Stellar/Solar Dyeing

stars for solar dyeing

solar dyeing

I brought home a pocketful of the star-like maple leaves for my first ever attempt at solar dyeing - 'radiator dyeing' to be precise because that's where I placed the jar to get some warmth when the heating comes on.

The piece of silk I put in is a recycled, unscoured, unmordanted, off-white, heavier fabric. I'm expecting it to turn light yellow. Time will tell (time being an important ingredient here).

Recently they have started sweeping up and taking away all the leaves. Truckloads of them. Looks like there'd be enough for leaf dyeing on an industrial scale. Just a thought...

4 comments:

Sonia said...

I totally see what you mean with loads of leaves (or other natural materials) that could be used on an industrial scale ... sometimes men don't know how to use Nature's bounty.
I can't wait to see the result of this dye. Is it just water in the jar ? How long will you keep the silk in ? Sorry if my questions are curious, but I'm very interested in dyeing with plants.
Have a wonderful end of weekend & start of the new week tomorrow :)

Brittany Noel said...

This sounds great! Is there a difference in color between green leaves and ones that have turned color? They look so nice in that jar, all golden in the sunlight.

can't wait to see what happens!

Eva said...

Sonia - yes, it's just water. I'm going to play it by ear and take the silk out whenever seems right :) Maybe a week. Or if any mould appears...

Brittany - that's an interesting point. I'd think so because the colour in the leaves changes their chemical composition. But not sure about it...

iNdi@ said...

i'd be rolling a few leaves IN the silk as well...