8.12.09

Prints

avocado pit print

A print made with an avocado pit. I wrapped the pit in the fabric and broke it up with a hammer. The darkest colour developed immediately, as if on touching the air. Wrapping the fabric in a bundle and leaving it for a few days added only the pale shades around the edges. I like the abstract nature of the stains and the colour like the red ochre of cave paintings. So much in fact that I put the fabric in an empty frame in my work room.

I used the avocado skin for solar dyeing but it's giving only a dull, light peach colour even after long soaking. It might need a mordant or a different application method.

eco print drying
leaf print

I'm also making a large eco print to be used as a wall covering. I painted the bedroom earlier this year and have been looking for some interesting fabric to hang there. In future I'd like to re-dye the cloth as it fades and with the seasons. For the moment I'll be sleeping under a (remembered) canopy of leaves...

5 comments:

jude said...

i am enjoying all these trials....

Sweetpea said...

Very interesting info on the avocado - thanks for posting! And your eco print for the wall is GORGEOUS, luv it so.

leFiligree said...

fascinating! do you have birch chaga (the canker-looking growth that bursts out of birches)? your hammer technique reminds me of whacking the chaga. youve motivated me to try to wrap it, whack it and...soak it? in a sealed jar?

Eva said...

leFiligree - not sure I've ever noticed birch chaga but I'll look out for it. I guess anything that's not completely dry might possibly work the same way as the avocado pit...

whimseycreations said...

Eva, your creations are fabulous! The avocado print is really interesting - I would have never thought to try that. I'm going to have to slow my brain down one of these days and think about the possibilities! Merry Christmas!