10.3.10

Dance

dance
dance

Third necklace in the series I call 'Beekeepers'. This one takes its inspiration from the amazingly clever honeybees' dance. They dance to show others which way and how far food lies. They navigate by the sun. Little shiny beads dance among the smocking and fly off purposefully along the chain.

~~~fly this way, it's not far

PS thanks to everyone for the comments about the indigo dyeing! I'm happy to say there's been some beautiful beautiful blue... More on that next time.

6 comments:

Blackmagpie said...

this post made me laugh. my biology teacher at secondary school taught us about the waggle dance, but what he didnt know is he did a little waggle dance of his own when he wrote on the white board. love the necklace!!

Catherine V. Bainbridge said...

Beautiful! The beads that you've chosen for this series are just so perfect. I want to eat your creations! :)

Brittany Noel said...

I've always loved everything to do with beekeeping. Including this series! Did you know that when most homes had their own hives, people used to "tell the bees" when something major happened in the household, like a marriage, a death or a birth. Sometimes, they even held funerals in the backyard, so that the bees could "attend." Isn't that awesome?!

Michelle Cummings said...

stunning...must have taken you much time to make!

Eva said...

Blackmagpie - takes me back to school too :))

Catherine - they're one of those things I've had for years, waiting for the right project.

Brittany - thanks, I've never heard of that! I wonder if similar customs existed in central Europe too...

Michelle - thank you! It mainly took two weeks of deciding how to make it, I'm very slow sometimes :)

Nancy*McKay said...

...the color, shape & beading are...LOVELY.