11.4.10

Hope and Patience


hope

The indigo vat I set up a week ago is my best one so far. It's a bit larger (about 2 litres) and it fermented and reduced without a hitch. The three pieces of cotton on the right were cut from fabric dyed over three days for two hours each time and show how very slightly darker the blue gets with each dip. But at this rate I might not reach navy before the year is out.

Because this vat is so clearly in order and yet the fabrics are coming out pale it makes me think that maybe I overestimate the strength of the indigo powder and simply need to put a lot more in. I did that today and now am waiting for it to reduce. Patience is the word...

6 comments:

Velma said...

yes, keep experimenting. every time i dye with indigo, it's like new. i don't know why it is so complex. i'm thinking of bloodroot today...

jude said...

i do like the lighter shades of indigo though....

♥♥♥ w o o l f ♥♥♥ said...

patience is good... i find it a challenge, but i want to stay positive. i love indigo dye, and i really, really love the frittilaria. i once brought one from amsterdam, to my lover. the lover didn't stay, but friendship remained.
curious about the outcome of the indigo, and totally love your labour.
bye, woolf (aka nadine)

ger said...

I´m completely convinced that you will have supreme results soon... (the light blue is wonderful already, of course...)

Jo Wholohan said...

thoroughly enjoyed reading all your dyeing posts, thanks so much for sharing, just new to the world of natural dyeing and loving it :)) xx

Eva said...

Thank you for the encouraging comments. The light blue is good, I'd just like to find out how to make it dark too.