13.5.10

Let's See

Augusta asked in a comment if solar dyeing like this would work with other blossoms as well. I don't know but think it should work with some.

Let's test a random sample of flowers I collected near the house: daisies, bluebells, dandelions, horse chestnut blossoms and kerria (aka Japanese yellow rose).


I included everything in the brew: petals, bits of stalk and centres. They are soaking in water with a few grains of alum and a piece of silk.

Of course this is not the only way to extract potential colour. Other methods (steamed contact print, hapazome, ice flowers...) could give different results and be more suitable for some flowers.

Let's see what happens in a week or so!

6 comments:

cornel said...

I find your work facinating!

The Woolly Mammoth said...

I've been inspired by your solar dyeing experiments, and have tried it with daffodils and a piece of silk-linen, as well as some mercerised cotton, and they have come out a really vivid yellow!

Martine said...

This afternoon the first Rhododendronflower fell down and i put it in a glasjar. I'll keep putting in all the flowers there over the next weeks. It will color the silk a beautiful pink.
Looking forward to your colors.
XXXm

jude said...

a nice process photo. clear intent.

Leililaloo said...

Wow, this loks so beautiful...isn't it exciting to wait what happends in a week. I love this deying proces so much..it's great and inspiring to see you do it. Thank for sharing these processes with us.

cynthiareynolds said...

really lovely blog :)
I have understood that if you freeze flowers first, you can yield more colour from them. I will need to experiment. Looking forward to seeing your results.
Cynthia