7.6.10

Strandline

Strandline is the straggly line on the beach that marks the highest position of the tide. It's where both the beachcomber and the naturalist may find treasures. Mermaid's purses, tangles of seaweed, seaurchin tests, lengths of rope, seaglass...

strandline


I miss the blue days of walking along beaches this spring. I've wanted to make something that would combine the joy of the sea with the joy of indigo dyeing and carry it on me all the time.

The strandline bracelet that I showed you last time was the first. The indigo wears like a favourite pair of jeans...
Now I've also made two bracelets, a necklace and a pair of earrings in the same way.

earrings
strandline necklace
braceletbracelet

A fine silk cord dyed indigo in my vat is stitched through darkly oxidised silver chain. It weaves in and out in waves of blue and along it you will find various little treasures: mostly white shell-like beads but some of the much rarer, colourful glass can be seen sparkling from among the seaweed. The colours of the glass beads are beautifully clear and there's a frosted green one that looks just like seaglass. They really are quite rare because they are vintage and I have very few of them.

All of these pieces will be in the shop later today.

7 comments:

Lis said...

Beautiful

Sarah E. said...

How evocative...and so lovely!

Sarah E. said...

Oh yeah, and also, I REALLY like the name of your blog and how you came up with it!!

red-handed said...

They're gorgeous.

Karin Bartimole said...

I've arrived here via jude's spirit cloth and am very glad i did. feeling myself so deeply saddened and angered by all that is happening off the gulf coast here in the US, my heart has been breaking. i just bought one of your bracelets to wear so that each time i look down at my arm I will be reminded of the beauty, and will keep thoughts of hope and healing in my heart. thank you, karin

deemallon said...

delicate. pretty.

Brittany at Home Ground said...

I know that this post is really old, but I can't not tell you how beautiful these are. I love the delicate simplicity. They really do look they could have come from the sea. Though, they probably don't smell like salt :)