27.7.10

Blue Nails

blue nails

Thank you everyone for the comments on the indigo post. I know that here on the blog it's been all about the blue dye for months as if all others have been forgotten. I admit studying the 'king of dyes' has become a passion and I wear my blue nails proudly...

A while ago I visited Art in Action and predictably the highlight of the event for me was the indigo dyeing demonstration. It was great talking to Suad Østergaard and dyeing a sample of oak silk fibers in her vat.

Despite that it's not all blue here. I've been collecting walnuts that are falling unripe from the tree outside and am waiting for goldenrod and my own coreopsis flowers to open.

I've been through a bit of a turbulent time lately but when I can I'm finishing the designs for the poems necklaces. I want to be absolutely 100% sure about them when I show you photos so with apologies I have to say not yet... In the meantime here are two new feathers. Making them is always a joy even on the darkest of days.

No. XVNo. XVI

7 comments:

Quercus Silver said...

Congratulations on a very professional set of blue fingers. Keep it up, your work gets better and better.

Jane said...

Ha! You're a true creatrix!
All true makers have broken nails and stained hands, show them with pride.

Velma said...

anticipation...

Summer said...

You may just start a new trend with those nails! ;)

Well, you certainly haven't tired me of blue! No worries!

Sea Angels said...

There is nothing wrong with blue nails, when the end result looks that good xx fabulous actually
Lynn x

Summer said...

Oh, and what magazine is that with the article...looks so interesting!

Eva said...

Thank you for the comments. Well, I can report that the blue nails are not getting any better, the dye is extremely fast on them, no fading whatsoever :)

Summer - it's a chapter in the book Indigo by Jenny Balfour Paul