18.8.10

Back from a Fairytale

dragon scales
medieval dyer at work


Last week I spent a few days with a dear friend in a place that felt like a fairytale. We saw houses covered in dragon scales and a medieval dyer stirring a weld dyepot over the fire. We walked on a bridge where people lock their hearts together and throw the key in the Rhine. She also introduced me to spinning on her beautiful vintage wheel. Needless to say now I wish I had one of my own.

Since coming home I've been getting back into the swing of making. I'm smocking the garden-dyed silk I prepared before and a small collection is emerging. Its colours are of late summer, drying grass and ripening blackberries. More on that next time.

7 comments:

iNdi@ said...

i'm going to build a bridge like that in the hope of collecting such beautiful padlocks!

Mona said...

Oh, that roof! And the windows looks like they belong in the witches house in Hans & Gretl.

Sweetpea said...

Indeed, look at that *fairy-tile* and the beautiful leaded glass windows...but those locks, now those take my breath away. Happy emerging to you, the color palette sounds divine...

jo said...

and i can't wait to see your new work!

Drucilla Pettibone said...

so gorgeous! and the weld dyeing scene! *swoon*

Leililaloo said...

wow, what great pictures have you made...I can't wait to see the neclaces you are working on now:))

Summer said...

That picture of the dyed cloth! It's a perfect triad of red, yellow, and blue in a triangle no less! Amazing! Where was this mysterious place? It's a dream!