10.4.11

New Year in the Garden

future dye plants

The weather has been so warm and sunny it feels like summer. Everything's green and blooming. Lilacs in the second week of April?

I've prepared the balcony garden and have even been seduced by this warm spell into sowing the seeds now. This year I'm sowing straight into the outside containers and I'm growing woad, yellow cosmos and weld. Just one or two plants of each. It may not be enough for dyeing but I simply want to see what they look like when they grow. This is all gathering of experience for a real dye garden one day.

My madder survived the winter. It failed to thrive last year, probably because I had to keep it in a sun-less spot. This year I've reserved a prime location for it.

Oh and the woad seeds (on the left in the picture) are the most beautiful inky purple black colour.

Next week I'll show you the latest in the sea series. Shells and seaweed.

6 comments:

Cari-Jane Hakes said...

lilacs out here too in France! Let's enjoy it while it lasts!

Mona said...

I've sown some dyeing plants as well today - and I really loved the colour of those glistening woad seeds too!
I was actually thinking of you today - didn't you have some japanese indigo plants last year? - And if you did - where did you get the seeds? I've searched the internet for suppliers, but can't find any ...

Perpetua said...

I just ordered a book about the history of Red Madder. Looking forward to reading it--I have not the space for a garden this year, so it will have to do...

Velma said...

planting must be in the air...i planted japanese indigo seeds today. a greenhouse owning friend is growing them for me, but i'm trying a few here, indoors, too.

Marchi Wierson said...

I can't wait for the sea series!!!

Eva said...

Cari-Jane - indeed. I think we're headed for some rain now for a change...

Mona - thank you for reminding me! I meant to blog about the seeds and have jut done that.

Perpetua - that sounds interesting. The mysteries of Turkey red?

Velma - the planting mood is spreading :) Did you dye with your crop last year?

Marchi - :)