11.4.11

Speaking of Gardening...

indigo seeds on offer

I've been asked about them by several people and knowing they can be hard to find I'm offering eleven packs of Japanese indigo seeds saved from my balcony plants last year.

The packets are made from brown paper and labelled 'Japanese indigo 2010'. Each contains over 60 plump, ripe seeds, hand-picked, winnowed and dried to prolong their life. The seeds will be wrapped in another piece of paper inside for protection. They are in the shop for £1.50 a packet which covers the postage.

If you're in the US you should visit Dustin of Creative by Nature who was also offering to share her indigo seeds.
***Edit: please read Dustin's comments below this post.***

In the UK I bought the seeds from this website last year and they seem to have some available now as well as potted indigo plants.

Leena of the wonderful blog Riihivilla listed some European and US suppliers in this post.

6 comments:

Dustin said...

Hi Eva, You have created such beautiful seed packets! Thanks for mentioning that I am sharing my seeds. However, I sent a few packets out earlier this year, and then I gave the remaining seeds to Rebecca Burgess, who is planting an acre of indigo this year! I'll check with Rebecca to see if she has some extra seeds.

Mona said...

Wonderful, thank you! I just bought a packet :)

Dustin said...

Addendum to my previous comment: Rebecca has plenty of Japanese indigo seeds (Polygonum tinctorium), so contact me via my blog (http://www.studiobluedesigns.net/blog/) if you are in the U.S. and would like some seeds.

Eva said...

Hi Dustin, sorry if I caused you trouble with this! Thank you for checking with Rebecca. An acre of indigo sounds great :) I'll edit the post to alert people to your comment.

melampyrum said...

wow thanks for sharing your seeds and sources! i wish i knew how to dye with indigo :( but i might make a mess with it. how long do you think the seeds would preserve themselves? i mean for dyeing successfully...
also the garden intentions of the previous post sounds fantastic!

Eva said...

melampyrum - thanks! From what I've heard the seeds are only viable for a year so these should be sown this spring. But I don't know from experience.