26.9.11

A Little Blue

small harvest cold indigo blue hanging to dry

It was time to harvest the Japanese indigo. The cold summer didn't suit the plants and they grew straggly and spindly with fewer and smaller leaves - compared to last year's abundance.

I processed the fresh leaves like last year, with the cold water method (details and references are in last year's post). The dye was murkier green and looked less strong. However, I compensated by dyeing much less fabric and it came out a very nice turquoise blue.

I love how fresh this dye smells and feels to the touch. Kneading the chopped leaves by hand is strenuous but refreshing at the same time.

9 comments:

marchi said...

Its so beautiful eve. congratulations!!

Sea Angels said...

Such a beautiful colour...its magical
xx

alma said...

Such a soft blue!
I also tried to grow the indigo plant but my leaves were even smaller than the one you got! And I'm not sure the weather was the only one to blame...!

bon*bon said...

oh, what a gorgeous turquoise!!!!!

Jane S. said...

What a beautiful color -- I'd say the hard work was well worth it!

zahrada mojí duše said...

Beautiful! I am still waiting with harvesting my indigo, as it grew so small... few days ago I tried to put some plants inside on a sunny windowsill and I am waiting if they will grow a little bit more and perhaps some will start to flower so I could get some seeds for next year...

Therese said...

Oh ! A beautiful colour, you must be so pleased, all your effort has been rewarded.

Mona said...

We've had a cold (and wet) summer here as well, but there's plenty of Japanese indigo from the seeds I got from you. Love the turquoise!!

Eva said...

Thank you! It is indeed a lovely colour and definitely worth growing the plants for.

Alma, Heli and Mona - you're making me reconsider. Maybe this harvest wasn't that bad, then? and maybe I shouldn't blame it on the weather anyway!