27.2.15

Calendarium : February

calendarium : february

Calendarium is an ongoing series in which I make a piece every month dyed with whatever I find outside at that time. In February I found some oak galls. Not in the garden this time but under a tree on my way to A's pre-shool. I ground one in a mortar and used it to ombre-dye a piece of organza.

The main feature of this curious necklace is a pleated and smocked fabric bead. It has the shape of an irregular orb, maybe echoing the oak gall itself or a seedpod from which emerges a mysterious 'eye that sees'. This month the energy in the seeds is stirring. The darkened silver contrasts with the golden beads and the gold-plated wire decorating the eye.

This will be in the shop marking the last February day which is tomorrow.

Untitled

2 comments:

Sonia / Cozy Memories said...

Oh my goodness, what an intriguing piece. I also agree with dyeing with what you find right now. That's my only way to dye (except when I can dry & store material) anyway. Have a lovely weekend ! ox

pencilfox said...

now THAT is a unique and lovely piece!
good job!!