6.5.15

Calendarium : April

calendarium : april

Part of the Calendarium series in which I make a piece every month dyed with whatever I find outside at that time.

In April I dyed the background with yellow flowers from the garden (a mix of forsythia, daffodils, dandelions and kerria). The result was a bright yellow which ended up being toned down by overdying with alder cones and iron. Finally I added spots of colour by printing it with red tulip petals and blue grape hyacinth flowers.

The smocking is embellished with purple and bright yellow beads. The yellow is also on the toggle that closes the necklace at the back.

The symbolism behind it... something about beads of pollen. Something ancient and new. Bees. A little bag to collect and hold it all. It will have to remain a pocketful of impressions. It's been that sort of time. I feel torn in different directions and whatever hours I spend doing something else feel stolen from A. somehow.

Anyway, here we are in May already. I'll put the necklace in the shop late this evening.

UntitledUntitled

PS I sneaked in a bit more photo taking and there will also be a bluegreen feather in the update tonight.

bluegreen

3 comments:

red2white said...

I was wondering what will you do with that bowl of yellow flowers and perhaps the tulip petals...Very pretty dyeing and mark making.

pencilfox said...

very beautiful piece, that yellow.
daffodils and forsythia were always my favourites as a young girl. and, they still are, but sadly do not grow well in my clime.

i love seeing the flowers, then the dyed pieces, then the completed art. you are SO creative, eva….

Eva said...

thank you!