7.8.15

Calendarium : August

calendarium : august

Part of the Calendarium series in which I make a piece every month dyed with whatever I find outside at that time.

August has only just begun but I'm going to be on holiday for a large part of it so I wanted to make a Calendarium piece early. I used similar plants as last month but in a dyebath rather than with steam printing. Cherry leaves contain a lot of tannin. I find each tannin-rich plant gives a slightly different shade of tan. This one was warm and just right for what I imagined. I overdyed it with home-grown dyer's chamomile for just a slight glaze of gold over the top of the pleats.

As the summer is ending and the combs are filling with honey in the hives I felt like recreating one of the honeycombs from several years ago. This one is fairly large and heavy with honey-coloured beads.

It's going in the shop tomorrow (Saturday). Then the shop will be closed between 11 and 27 August.

UntitledUntitled

No comments: